Institute of Philosophy
A brief history of the Institute:
The origins of university–level philosophy teaching in Warsaw date back to the days of the Collegium Nobilium (opened in 1740), and the Knights’ School (founded in 1865 by King Stanislaus Augustus). Philosophy blossomed in the first half of the 20th century, at which time the chairs of philosophy at University of Warsaw were held by such famous representatives of the Lvov–Warsaw School as Jan Łukasiewicz and Stanisław Leśniewski (logicians), Władysław Tatarkiewicz (specialising in aesthetics and the history of European philosophy) as well as Tadeusz Kotarbiński (who developed praxiology). During this period, qualifications were granted to Alfred Tarski (logician who, after World War II, worked in the US), as well as Maria Ossowski (ethicist) and Stanisław Ossowski (specialising in aesthetics and sociology).
In the post–war period, the greatest figure in Warsaw Philosophy was that of Kazimierz Ajdukiewicz (metaphysician and logician).
The Institute of Philosophy consists of the following departments: Aesthetics, Analytic Philosophy, Epistemology, Ethics, History of Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, History of Contemporary Philosophy, History of Modern Philosophy, History of Polish Philosophy, Logic, Logical Semiotics, Philosophy of Culture, Philosophy of Politics, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Science, Social Philosophy, and sections: French Philosophy Section and Studies in German Philosophy Section.
The institute students have at their disposal the combined library collections of University of Warsaw’s Philosophy and Sociology Faculty, the Philosophy and Sociology Institute of the Polish Academy of Science and the Polish Philosophical Society — the largest collection of this type in this part of Europe — as well as digital archives, internet databases and other electronic research tools.